Statement of the Problem or Need:
Based on the research that has been conducted, I have been able to establish that following problems in the modelling industry.
- Collaborators are feeling unsafe whilst work on the job with people they have not worked with before.
- Photographers and models both have been searching for a method of reviewing collaborators first hand experience they have just had.
- Currently professionals in the industry are resulting to Facebook to look for work. This method doesn’t cater to the needs just mentioned and also a few other needs that I will be outlining. This has been resulting in miscommunications, collaborators not showing up to the photoshoots.
- After Photoshoots have been completed, there is currently a lack of etiquette when making payments to the contributors, and in some cases a complete lack of payment all together.
The audience that I will be targeting for this app, based on the research that I have conducted is as follows;
- Male and Female models aged 18 – 30
- Male and Female Photographers
- Models who are actively seeking work in the industry.
- Photographers who are actively looking for work.
- Companies that are looking to hire models and photographers for job that they have on offer.
I have been working through a plan of action that will aimed at providing a solution that the target market needs as opposed to their wants. This solution can be directly linked back to each problem statement.
Project Deliverables & MVP:
At the end of the project we hope to have application that will run natively in iOS and Android. The app will surround a home screen that will list out all of the jobs that are currently on offer. Users will be able to apply to each job individually after they have review the details of the brief. This process will be managed by the ‘Schedule' section of the application that will cater for Scheduling new jobs, management of draft Jobs and reviewing successful applications.
Additionally, users will be asked to review each collaborator after a job has been completed. Once each party has completed this review payment will be automatically deducted. If a review has not been posted after a period of time, to protect the collaborators the user will be prompted 3 times, and then money will be automatically deducted from their account.
To help solve the problem whereby the potential collaborators find it hard to stand out from large numbers of applications, user profiles on their application will be divided up based on their star rating.
The highlighted areas mentioned below have been established as being my Minimum Viable Product.
The main difficulty with deciding which features of the app will be included in the minimum viable product, comes down to a balance between a non functional app and an app that does the minimum of what it has been intended to do.
Direct Message Secure Payment
Personal account/ Profile
Job Type Search
iPad and Tablet function
Smart Profile Categorisation
I conducted 3 user card sorting sessions with users who were from the target market that has been previously recognised.
The results were as expected and revealed a few patterns that my hypothesis wasn’t able to cover. Here are a few stand out points:
Users were confused by where to put the schedule a new job CTA.
Confusion over where to put the Report a user card.
Users placed the favourited jobs page in its own navigation, as opposed to what I had initially thought to place it in the user's profile.
Users weren’t sure if the profile page was their own or it was a photographer/models.
In order of weight, users agreed that Jobs home would be the first followed by job listings on the home page. Jobs schedule in a seperate page, favourite jobs page, profile and then some form of inbox.
As a side note to this I was also prompted to make the navigation items more clear where it was going. Initially I had the home page listed as jobs, however through testing it became apparent that users weren't sure how to get back to the home page, nor did they know which the home page was.
Through simple testing and iterations I renamed the headings to the following.
Schedule new job.